Wednesday, December 3, 2008

"Life Is Too Short"

Experiences like today make me realize that life is way too short and you never know when it will be your time to go. I was doing my clinical rotations at the hospital today and I was in the E.R., which is by the way my most favorite place to be, because it's the place of "unknown" - you never know what is going to come through that door and so you always have to be on your toes! Well today was definitely one of those days. I can't talk about it too much due to the privacy laws, but we had a patient die today from a really bad car accident. It was just so sad, I just thought about it the whole way home tonight from Show Low. I know throughout my career as a nurse I am going to have to see and experience some really sad things, but it's still really hard, and I don't ever want to get used to it. I don't ever want to become a feelingless person, or to ever become numb to these sorts of things. I think if you start to become numb to the sad things then you also start to become numb to the good things in life. Life is just way to short. Your life can be gone in an instant! Live every day like it's going to be your last. Hug your kids and kiss your husbands all the time and always tell them you love them.

7 comments:

Mandy said...

It's so true. It has been weighing on my mind heavily lately too. We have to go to the little girls funeral today from Bella's class. Not going to be easy. I'm greatful to have great friends and family everyday.

Josh and Amber Wilkins said...

I like your perspective! Life is to short and we never know when it will be our familys faced with tragedy! Sorry that you had to go through that, but like you said it probably won't be your last being a nurse and all! Good Luck!

Melis said...

I have a close friend who is a nurse and she has said the same things you just said in this post. I think being a nurse is definitely challenging because of the prospect of someone dying, but on the other hand, what would the world be like without them (nurses)? They bless ALL of our lives at one time or another. You will be SO blessed in the service you give. And you are right, Life is just too short. Thanks for the post!

Nicki said...

Amen! What an exciting job you have! I couldn't do it, so I'm glad there are good people like you that can! Love ya!

Nikki said...

My sister in law loves the ER too. She has worked there for many years and it still gets to her. We need more people like you and her that care and not just blow it off because they have see it too much. Your a good person. I have been following your blog. You have a cute family :) I am glad that you are happy. Thanks for the comment. I made my background. I have a blog with them on it if you want to look. I will have to invite you tho. If you are interested leave me your email sometime.

Kathy's Boys said...

You are sweet! I hope if I ever need one I will have a nurse that is caring like you, cause there are some that are definately in the wrong business! My daughter in law had the worst one when she had her baby.

Lee Anne said...

Amen to that. I will tell you one thing for sure, with our experience with Taylor I am definately sooo greatful for good nurses. They make all the difference. What a great field to be in.